Friday, October 19, 2007

Nature's Candy

Hi folks, and welcome to my blog. It is a magical place, filled with joy and wonder. And rainbows! If you read my blog, you will discover important things about art, culture, the world, and maybe even yourself. I want to touch the soul of each and every one of you, dear readers, and give you something to make your day shine a little brighter. If you're feeling down in the dumps, simply check into my blog and you'll get a warm, fuzzy feeling in your heart. Why? Because I love you.

Now, you may be wondering about the name of this blog. Let me explain. Most people in this country have never eaten a Concord grape. This is a shame. Seedless grapes (a.k.a. green grapes, although there are also red and black varieties) are usually the only grapes found in the supermarket; as a result, they are the only kind eaten by the average American consumer. The flavor of seedless grapes is sweet yet bland, and it bears little resemblance to the flavor of Concord grapes. And yet, when someone eats a Concord grape for the first time, he/she usually recognizes the flavor instantly. It is the flavor of grape juice, grape jelly, and grape candy. In fact, most grape-flavored products are made with either the juice of the Concord or a Concord-like flavoring. Moreover, the color of these foods is almost always purple, just like the skin of the Concord. What I'm getting at is this: there is a major disconnect in this society, one in which children are not able to associate the flavor of grape juice with the fruit from which it came. Applesauce tastes like apples, orange juice tastes like oranges, but grape jelly tastes nothing like seedless grapes. It's gastronomic confusion of the worst kind. This problem needs to be fixed, and I am determined to fix it, one blog reader at a time.

Let me tell you what you've been missing. Concords have a taste which is much sweeter and more complex than that of green grapes, with a pleasing tartness that perfectly balances the sugar. Every time I eat one, a symphony of flavors fills my mouth. So if Concords taste so much better, why aren't they more popular? To better understand this dilemma, let's go back to something I mentioned earlier: rainbows. As Confucius once said, you can't have rainbows without rain. Similarly, there is a small price to pay for the miracle of Concords, and that price is the seeds and skins of the grapes. These need to be spit out every time you eat a Concord. Honestly, it's not a big deal, unless you're an infant. The only other drawback is the fact that the grapes are hard to find, but they can usually be found at Korean gorcery stores. Now that you've been enlightened, you have no excuse not to enjoy one of nature's hidden treasures. Let the magic begin!

4 comments:

Trevor said...

Dear fellow readers,
If you're reading this message, that means you're also reading the content of this blog. And that in turn means either that you've got waaaayyyy too much free time on your hands, or you're a masochist.
So, what am I doing here? I guess you could call me a sentinel, or a guardian. I'm here to steer you away, towards a better life. A life where you can eat your seedless green grapes in peace. I mean, who *doesn't* love a good seedless green grape? They're delicious! And more importantly, they don't have seeds. I used to be roommates with this blogger (long story), and I can't tell you the number of times I had disgusting Concord grapes foisted upon me. Sure, they're juicy, but those seeds ... not only do they lurk deep in the marrow of the grape, evading easy removal, but they're nastier and grittier than eating the sand out of an elementary-school sandbox. There's a reason that people stomp those things, and it ain't for making wine.
So, take it from me: go check out The Onion, or thestranger.com, or YouTube, or even the Webcam with that cheddar cheese sitting on a rack over in England. There are so many better things to do on the Internet than read insipid odes to Concord grapes, and the accompanying vitriol about green grapes. All right, peace out ...

harlan said...

yeah I agree with the other guy. Its like he was saying something like I might have said if I'd written it before.
concords is nasty. You cant chew them and they give you the runs. Sometimes I Gugle "concrod" just to see what other people are thinking about them. Im glad they don't have them growing down here in Kentucky or maybe I'd move away.

Unknown said...

Yo, my boy Harlan told me that some fool was out here ad-vo-catin' for concord grapes, and I had to come n check this shit out. And I got to say, wha tha fuck? Who the fuck be publishing a blog about grapes? Maybe some of them grapes be a little too old, and got a little bit of a bite to em, if you know what I'm saying. Sheeit. An' concord grapes, those be the grapes that always got the little white kids in the commercials askin' their mommas, momma can I please get some of that purple grape shit? An' you see these little white kids runnin around with purple juice and purple jelly all over their faces, an' they like the whitest white kids you ever did see. Never see a mexican or a black kid or a chinese kid in one of them commercials.
Yo! Concord grapes be racist and shit. An' here we got some punk-ass beeyotch tellin' everyone that concord grapes be the be-all an' end-all! I oughtta bust you up, punk ass. Hidin' behind this internet an-o-nimity an' shit. What kind of a generic name is Brian, anyways? You cant make up somethin' better 'n that? Brian. Man, I'm gonna burn this blog DOWN, know what I'm sayin'? Before you start talkin' about mangoes or some shit that even more crazy.

Unknown said...

I need to do some back posting!~