Friday, November 2, 2007

Greetings from DC


Hey kids, it's me again. I know you've been waiting patiently for another mind-blowing blog post, and I realize that I haven't written anything in awhile, so I just want to say thanks for checking back in with me. Mr. Sunshine is here to brighten your day. I know, it's been a rough two weeks without me. If you learn just one thing from this blog, it's that no matter how badly life shits all over you, you'll always have a friend here at Concords Are Better. Now turn that frown upside-down and prepare to be dazzled!

Here's something that will make everyone happy: design-your-own donuts. During a recent trip to Washington, DC, I learned about a donut shop in Maryland that lets you create your own deep-fried masterpieces, complete with the toppings of your choice. What could be more perfect than that? And get this- the name of the shop is The Fractured Prune. Seriously, I could not have come up with a better name. The folks at Top Pot (a so-called gourmet donut store in my hometown of Seattle) ought to be hanging their heads in shame right now. Sadly, I was unable to visit The Fractured Prune during my trip, so I can only dream of the wondrous tastes and smells that fill that magical shop. Here's a link to their website. I dare anyone to look at it without drooling.

Another great thing I discovered in DC was the Hirshhorn Museum. Although not nearly as big as the National Gallery (and less comprehensive, as it only focuses on contemporary art), it nevertheless has a ton of cool art that shouldn't be missed during a visit to the city. One of the pieces in the museum that stuck in my mind was a 30-minute film called "The Way Things Go". If you were ever fascinated by those goofy Rube Goldberg contraptions when you were a kid, you'll appreciate the mad genius of this movie, which is basically one long chain reaction of rolling tires, catapults, and fireballs. Here's a short clip of it on YouTube.

Donuts and fireballs aside, the highlight of my trip was exploring the various neighborhoods with my girlfriend (who used to live in DC) and meeting her old friends. I'm not going to go into too much detail here, but I do want to give a shout-out to Sarah and Michael for being such gracious hosts. And a special thanks to Michael for giving me his hemp shoes. Few things in life are as comforting as the knowledge that if times get rough, I can always smoke my shoes.

6 comments:

Trevor said...

People, people! What's going on here??? Can't you see that Brian is working hard at making this thing work? But so far, he's not getting any love for his efforts. Where's the feedback from all you other readers out there? So far, there's just been a few diatribes from some Concord haters, plus my own earlier comments. I've got to confess, I don't completely understand this blogging thing; I've often thought of blogging as the nexus where intellectual masturbation and self-exhibitionism meet. But when someone goes to these lengths to describe the meaningful events in his own personal life, I think he deserves at least some sort of acknowledgement.
And if somebody out there doesn't write something soon, I know what's going to happen: Brian's going to break down. I was roommates with the man for several years, and I've seen it happen too many times before. First, his lower lip starts to tremble, and he glances furtively around the room as his eyes moisten. Finally, enough lacrimal fluid collects to perch hesitantly at his lower eyelid before spilling across, and then it's all over: big, salty tears coursing down both cheeks as his nose starts to run and heaving sobs wrack his body. He'll finally take his glasses off and wipe his eyes with a sleeve, and you'll think he's through. But no. A fresh wave of sobs ensues, and he'll collapse face-down across the couch and start pounding the cushions with both fists. I'm just glad that Cindy's there to put an arm around his shoulder and comfort him, because it always made me feel a little "funny" when I had to do it.
But my point is, it doesn't have to be this way. All it'd take is a simple "Way to go, B-Phat!" or "Well done, sir," here and there, and his chest will puff out and he'll start to comport himself with that same old swagger once again. I've seen that many times, too. So, don't just be a passive reader - engage this author as he tries to expound on the myriad wonders he encounters in the world around him. Concords are Better should be a chorus of voices, not a one-man band.
And for those of you who've accused me of writing in too much, and of being an "anti-blogger," and suggested I get a venue of my own, let me just say this: I can't afford it. I don't have enough money to run a blog right now, at least the way I think a blog should be run. Plus, as I mentioned above, I'm philosophically opposed. And on top of all that, whatever free time I have at present is being devoted to securing more Myspace friends. It's a sacrifice for me just to check in here once in a while ... but I think Brian is worth it.
Don't you?

Cindy said...

Nicely done, B-Phat. I like donuts.

Brian said...

Trevor, thank you for taking the time to write. Your beautiful, flowery prose is something that I hope other readers can find inspiration in. I am a bit concerned that you are beginning to show the hallmark signs of an obsessed fan (replies to my blog that are longer than the original post, mysterious phone calls at 3 in the morning, undergarments mailed to my house, etc.), but I'm sure it's all in good fun. As a family-friendly blog, Concords Are Better aims to create a fun-filled experience for everyone. Let us celebrate and be happy!

El said...

I'll start commenting when B-phat starts posting. Two posts in like three weeks? That deserves praise? I know you're busy what with spitting out those pesky seeds and all, but come on...

Trevor said...

Don't mention it, B-Phat. As for this allegation that I'm obsessed about the blog, and also your goal of making this a family-oriented blog, I've got just one thing to say for both: fuck THAT! Any parent who brings their kid to this site is going to be exposing them to the worst kind of gutter language imaginable. Shit. Jerkwad. Balls. There! How's that for a family atmosphere?
I'd also like to point out that it's not my fault that my prior comment ran so long. It takes a lot to make a grown man cry; it takes even more to provide a good description of that man in the act of crying. And the little text box they provide here for comments feels like a Post-It note. The next thing you know, you've written a novella. And finally, keep in mind what William Shakespeare once said about brevity: "Brevity don't count for shit."
While I'm here, just a couple other things. If you google "concords are better" you won't find a reference to this blog here; however, it will reveal a myriad of other, more worldly blogs about Concord grapes. Here's a sample:

http://blogs.foodnetwork.com/food/feedingfrenzy/2007/09/concord_grapes_1.html

Also, I'd like to announce my plans to start my own blog, yogurtparfaitsmakemedrool.com, in the near future. I mean, is there anyone out there who doesn't love a yogurt parfait? They're delicious! And I think they deserve a little more recognition. All right, keep your eyes peeled ...

Unknown said...

yeah he tried to smoke my shoes ... so I gave them to him