Wednesday, February 6, 2008

The Fine Art of Name-Calling


Hey folks,

Sorry for the long delay since my last post. I know it's been a bitterly cold winter, and it was wrong of me to deprive my fans of the warm, fuzzy feelings that my blog posts provide. I have an excuse, though: I spent much of the holiday season out of town (Portland and Albuquerque), and I recently got engaged (yes, there will soon be a Mrs. Concord). Plus, I've just been a lazy ass. In the grand scheme of things, this web journal kind of got pushed aside. But no longer. Your latest fix of blog heaven has arrived!

If you're like me, you've been paying close attention to the 2008 presidential race. And, if you're like me, you've noticed that something very important has been missing: nicknames. Yes, the history of American politics is filled with nicknames, and I would argue that this country's long tradition of political name-calling is what makes our nation so great. Here's a comprehensive list of past presidential nicknames, if you're not convinced. So I believe that it is my duty as an American citizen to provide you, dear readers, with the official list of nicknames for the 2008 presidential race.

First up is Barack Obama, who shall now be referred to as "Obamarama". I feel that this nickname accurately conveys the sense of youthful exuberance that has surrounded his campaign from the beginning. For Hillary Rodham Clinton, it's "Hillbilly", in partial reference to her redneck husband ("H-Rod" was a close runner-up). On the Republican side, you've got John McCain, who's nickname will be "McLame". Although this may be misinterpreted as an insensitive reference to his status as a physically disabled veteran, one must realize that his disability only involves his arms (which he is incapable of raising above his head) and not his legs. Okay, let's keep going...Mike Huckabee is now "The Huckster" ("Fuckamee" would be too risque for most people), and Mitt Romney shall be known simply as "The Mormon". Let's see, who's left? Oh yeah, there's Ron Paul ("Ru Paul") and Ralph Nader ("Nadir"), if he decides to run again. I think that covers it. Yesterday's Super Tuesday ("Supa Tuesday") results are in, and it looks like it's still a tight race for some candidates. Close enough, I think, that the new list of nicknames could very well tip the balance of the elections. Here's to an exciting race in 2008!

Sincerely,
Brian ("Grape Boy")

2 comments:

Trevor said...

Did you know that Mitt Romney's full name is Mitten? I don't think he needs a nickname, with a real name like that.
As for McCain, maybe "McLame" is a little too obvious. If you wanted to stick with the rhyme thing, I'd go instead with "McBain," at least for Simpsons fans. But whenever I think about McCain, I think of something old and stale and bitter and wrinkled/puckered. So, that led me to "The Prune." An added plus with "The Prune" is its close association with bowel management, which fits with McCain's courting of the Republican right wing.
And on a personal note, how about some suggestions for a nickname for Brian? He obviously likes Mr. Concord; but trust me, it doesn't fit him.

Unknown said...

I shall leave the candidates nick names who have already displayed a knack for such. However I would like to offer nicknames for the party(s) I hesitate to use the plural.... but how about the Dumbocrats and the repugnantcans. As for a nickname for the My B I think Grape-Boy is kinda catchy..... or possibly.. just.. maybe.............. the "dough-nut"